Charlie Plants Whitsunday

It can come as a surprise to learn that many common plants – both indoor and outdoor – are toxic to pets. While some cause symptoms like drooling and vomiting, others can sadly cause vital organs to shut down, and even death. If you can teach your pets not to eat or play with any plants, this is best. However, it’s also wise to keep those with the potential for higher toxicity out of your home and backyard entirely if you want to protect your furry friends. 

Let’s take a look at some common plants which pose a threat to cats and dogs, so you can keep your pets safe.

The veggie patch

Don’t assume your veggie patch is safe. In fact, some common veggies pose a considerable threat to our furry friends.

Rhubarb: The leaves of the rhubarb plant are toxic to cats and dogs. Tip: you shouldn’t feed them to your chickens either!

Tomato: The leaves and stems of the tomato plant can cause depression of the central nervous system, slowing the heart rate and causing hyper-salivation.


Without realising, many people choose to decorate their home with houseplants that are toxic to dogs and cats.

Peace lilies: Peace lilies and other varieties of lily are particularly dangerous for cats. Even just chewing on part of this plant can cause mouth irritation to the point of drooling, vomiting and difficulty swallowing. If untreated, there is a real risk of kidney failure and death.

Sago palm: The seeds, roots and leaves of the sago palm are all toxic to your pets. However, the highest toxic concentration is found in the seeds. Toxicity occurs quickly, causing bleeding disorders, and liver failure leading to death.


There are hundreds of outdoor plants toxic to pets. Here are a few examples to watch out for:

Daffodils, tulips and other bulb species: Unfortunately, the bulbs that are so tempting for our pets to play with can cause a host of symptoms. These range from vomiting and lethargy to hyperactivity, shock and kidney failure.

Brunfelsia (yesterday, today, tomorrow): While the entire plant is toxic, it’s the berries and seeds that are particularly dangerous. Incoordination, muscle tremors, hyper-salivation and seizures for several days are symptoms you can expect your furry friend to suffer if ingested.

You can find a more comprehensive list of plants toxic to pets at the ASPCA site, or for in-person advice on choosing plants for your home, simply get in touch with our friendly garden centre team.